Join in the debate in the comments - ANDS would like to collate more about connecting all data products.
This email stream is from Research Data Management discussion list - sign up for great discussions and international data news
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:21:26 +0000
From: Tint Hla Hla HTOO <thhhtoo@SMU.EDU.SG>
Subject: Research Data Curation
Hello
I'm a research data librarian from Singapore Management University. At our university, some researchers share their software, code, datasets, etc. on their personal websites and Github. Examples - here<http://libol.stevenhoi.
1) Limitations of the repository
- Our repository is on Digital Commons platform. Not OAIS compliant (lacking many preservation elements). No permanent data identifier (DOI/Handle, etc.).
2) Those data on their websites are already well organized and discoverable on google, etc. So, from the researchers' point of view, what value am I adding to their work by doing data curation?
I've been research data librarian for just about 6 months and not so sure about so many things. So any thought or comment is appreciated.
Thanks very much.
Tint
Ms Tint Hla Hla Htoo
Research Data Services Librarian | Li Ka Shing Library |
Singapore Management University | 70 Stamford Road, Singapore 178901 |
Tel: (65) 6808 7931 | Email: thhhtoo@smu.edu.sg<mailto:thhh
------------------------------
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 12:44:25 +0100
From: "Jansen Erik (UB)" <erik.jansen@
Subject: Re: Research Data Curation
Hi Tint,
Dataverse Network (http://thedata.org/) might meet your requirements.
It's developed by IQSS Harvard University and being used by several Universities from allover the world.
http://thedata.org/book/
Best,
Erik
[cid:image001.jpg@01CFF82D.
Erik Jansen
dept. Systems
University Library
erik.jansen@
www.maastrichtuniversity.nl <http://www.
Grote Looiersstraat 17 - 6211 JH Maastricht - | Universiteitssingel 50 - 6229 ER Maastricht
P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
T +31 43 38 82 615
Disclaimer<http://www.
[cid:image002.jpg@01CFF82D.
From: Research Data Management discussion list [mailto:RESEARCH-DATAMAN@
Sent: dinsdag 4 november 2014 11:21
To: RESEARCH-DATAMAN@JISCMAIL.AC.
Subject: Research Data Curation
Hello
I'm a research data librarian from Singapore Management University. At our university, some researchers share their software, code, datasets, etc. on their personal websites and Github. Examples - here<http://libol.stevenhoi.
1) Limitations of the repository
- Our repository is on Digital Commons platform. Not OAIS compliant (lacking many preservation elements). No permanent data identifier (DOI/Handle, etc.).
2) Those data on their websites are already well organized and discoverable on google, etc. So, from the researchers' point of view, what value am I adding to their work by doing data curation?
I've been research data librarian for just about 6 months and not so sure about so many things. So any thought or comment is appreciated.
Thanks very much.
Tint
Ms Tint Hla Hla Htoo
Research Data Services Librarian | Li Ka Shing Library |
Singapore Management University | 70 Stamford Road, Singapore 178901 |
Tel: (65) 6808 7931 | Email: thhhtoo@smu.edu.sg<mailto:thhh
------------------------------
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 14:05:20 +0000
From: Rachel Proudfoot <R.E.Proudfoot@LEEDS.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: Research Data Curation
Hello Tint
Thanks for raising this. I'm sure you're not alone in considering how your local repository fits with other institutional and external systems; we are certainly discussing similar issues here in Leeds. We're envisaging a mixed economy where some data are held and curated in the local repository whereas other data are held in other internal/external services; but we'll want a central record or registry of the data/code etc. regardless of where it is sitting. I think we'll need to apply some basic 'trust and quality' criteria to any services we point to from our central registry. I would worry about digital material linked from a personal web site - it may be well organised and discoverable at the moment, but the danger is it could disappear overnight. We all know the web is littered with dead links.
In terms of creating DOIs for data in a repository, you could do that by signing up to DataCite. This would give some added value to your researchers. https://www.datacite.org/
I think your question is interesting because it prompts us to think about to what extent we want to develop local repositories for our researchers and to what extent we want to utilise services that exist outside the institution - like Erik's DataVerse suggestion.
For example, we have been discussing how to approach archiving software. The partnership between Github and Zenodo is attractive as it allows the depositor to apply a licence, create a DOI and archive the code (as I understand it - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off the mark) and Github seems widely used within the developer community.
We're considering whether, at the institution, we:
(i) Hold just a metadata record pointing to code in Github/Zenodo or similar (using the DOI) or
(ii) Also hold a copy of the code locally
We would be very interested to know what others services are doing.
Whatever your repository service looks like, it's likely to be a much better bet than relying on project/personal web sites.
Best wishes
Rachel
***
Rachel Proudfoot
Research Data Management Advisor
The University Library
University of Leeds
http://researchdata.leeds.ac.
Tel: 0113 343 4554
Skype: rachel_proudfoot
From: Research Data Management discussion list [mailto:RESEARCH-DATAMAN@
Sent: 04 November 2014 10:21
To: RESEARCH-DATAMAN@JISCMAIL.AC.
Subject: Research Data Curation
Hello
I'm a research data librarian from Singapore Management University. At our university, some researchers share their software, code, datasets, etc. on their personal websites and Github. Examples - here<http://libol.stevenhoi.
1) Limitations of the repository
- Our repository is on Digital Commons platform. Not OAIS compliant (lacking many preservation elements). No permanent data identifier (DOI/Handle, etc.).
2) Those data on their websites are already well organized and discoverable on google, etc. So, from the researchers' point of view, what value am I adding to their work by doing data curation?
I've been research data librarian for just about 6 months and not so sure about so many things. So any thought or comment is appreciated.
Thanks very much.
Tint
Ms Tint Hla Hla Htoo
Research Data Services Librarian | Li Ka Shing Library |
Singapore Management University | 70 Stamford Road, Singapore 178901 |
Tel: (65) 6808 7931 | Email: thhhtoo@smu.edu.sg<mailto:thhh
No comments:
Post a Comment